Moving on..

Ok, school is over and what a once in a lifetime experience it was. So thankful to Robert and his family and the amazing year Haley and I had. Good times! The last two weeks were spent hurrying to get our pieces done for the show, packing our house for the move, and figuring out where to even go!

 I’ll pick up on the day of the show.

I just had a couple finishing touches to do with the cabinet. I started the morning by milling the small strips of cherry which would be fitted to hold the glass in. Small holes are drilled just a bit undersized for the brass pins so they can be tapped or just pressed into place. No glue since if the glass is ever broken it can be easily replaced without damaging the frame.  Since the frame and side door are slightly curved, I hit the bandsaw first to get the rough shape. Then just moved to the spokeshave to shape the curve and get my final surface.

Not the best way to use a spokeshave but I was in a hurry and the vice just seemed like it would take too long:). And the cherry works so well that it was fine like this. Here’s the ones for the front, just three since the right side of the glass is accepted into a groove in the post.

The rest of the morning was spent installing, and here’s the finished product!

That pretty much sums up things. . The show was also super fun, it was nice to meet some of the alumni from the past years and hear how they are working now. A few of them even brought some of their work to put in the show. The following week was spent making crates for our projects, cleaning the place from top to bottom and finally flattening our benches for the next years class. It was then time to say goodbye to all our new friends.

These our my classmates that I already miss, I pray that they all find the path that allows them to use their talents.

I’ll wait to post pictures of the work until we get the good ones back from the photographer!

It was a good year.

Advertisements

 Once again the time in class has been getting longer and longer I have been a bit to busy to post and keep up with the progress on my project. So at this point I’m just gonna go through some pics as to what has been going on here and maybe do some explaining along the way.

I finished the stand a few day after my last post, then moved onto making the box to house the drawers behind the right hand door. After completing the box, I just didn’t like it, the Bocote wasn’t right with the rest of the piece. So I scratched that idea, took a few day set back and decided to make a smaller insert from the port orferd and only place two drawers in it.

So then I needed to decide on new drawer fronts. To me this is good fun, one of the best times to use those rare pieces of wood to really bring a lot of interest to the inside of the cabinet. I spent the day trying out different woods, then remembered before I came here a good friend of mine gave me a beautiful hunk of Italian Olive. I’ve had this piece under my bench all year hoping I would have the chance to use it, and now seemed like the right time:) So on from here I went to chopping the pins and tails and my two drawers. I went with european sycamore for the drawer sides.

Always cut on the waste side of your layout;)

Skip a few steps….mock up drawer pulls….carve them…then it was time to mortise the fronts to receive these little guys. Robert always has an abundance of just the right wood, I ended up going with black olive…it will darken up nicely over the years.

And here ya go…two drawers. done.

And fitted!

Coffee break

And Scoobie snacks for Elliot

Good day